All about us
In 1872, William Dunbar, a plasterer by trade, married Violet Paulin whose father George was an Undertaker.
Violet had a brother called Andrew and when George passed away in 1881 the Funeral Directors were taken over by both his son and William Dunbar, Violet’s husband.
In 1882, the Funeral Directors became known as Paulin & Dunbar. When Andrew Paulin passed away in 1905 the name was changed to W T Dunbar & Sons.
The premises was located on the corner of Morrison Street and Lothian Road and consisted of three levels and viewing areas until part of the premises were later sold.
The corner section, formerly W T Dunbar & Sons continues today as a coffee shop. The upper levels are now residential premises and W T Dunbar & Sons are now located on a smaller section on Lothian Road.
During the earlier period, W T Dunbar & Sons had numerous funeral homes throughout Edinburgh located at Montrose Terrace, Morningside Road, Newport Street (stables), Great Junction Street, Halmyre Street, Raeburn Place, Montague Terrace, East Trinity Street, Thirlestane Lane, St Alban's Road, Queensferry Road and Stratheran Road.
W T Dunbar & Sons opened these premises in 1983, a few doors along from where they occupied premises a number of years back. Prior to this, the premises were occupied from the early 1970’s as a ladies clothes shop.
As part of continued development, W T Dunbar & Sons opened further premises in June 2009 at 62 Colinton Road. The premises were part of a new development which was built allowing W T Dunbar & Sons to create a new modern funeral home, the first in Edinburgh in many years, serving families in the South West of the city.